Tuesday, October 24, 2017

[CRIT] Trackmarks: Inspiring Media

Movies

My family always had the TV on, tuned to a channel that was streaming movies back-to-back (HBO, Syfy, AMC, Hallmark, etc.). We didn’t so much watch it as passively absorb it; there’s hundreds of films I’ve stitched together in pieces, others I don’t even remember watching. Most of my tastes came from absorbing films, so it’s natural for me to define something by pointing at films. I’m fluent in “oh kinda like that one film!”
  • Blade Runner 2049. An aesthetic encyclopedia. When I run Trackmarks minds-eye, I tell my players to watch this so we’re on the same page.
  • Bright. They basically stole my idea. Also, before you say “but what about Shadowrun:” I don’t do cyberpunk, guy.
  • Ocean’s Eleven. All adventures in Trackmarks are structured like heists, and this movie is the quintessential guidebook to heists.
  • Ralph Bakshi’s Wizards. I couldn’t point to any specific examples, but this movie defined my tastes in fantasy. I’m sure there’s traces in here somewhere.

Music

Whenever I run a game, I curate a playlist that I cycle through while writing for each session. I’m a big believer in building an environment to write in that evokes the tones and themes of your subject matter; I’ve yet to find a more convenient or effective method than blasting some tunes. Trackmarks is my most ambitious project yet, so it follows that the playlist is growing by the week.
If you want to really get Trackmarks, listen to this playlist. Either look up the songs below, or check out the playlist on Google Play. Hit shuffle.
  • 50 Cent – Many Men (Wish Death)
  • Ab-Soul – Trouble (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  • A$AP Ferg – Plain Jane
  • Alicia Keys – A Woman’s Worth
  • BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah – Six Degrees (feat. Danny Brown)
  • Belly – Come Down is Real
  • Belly – Dealer Plated
  • Belly – Make a Toast
  • Belly – Might Not (feat. The Weeknd)
  • Belly – No Option
  • Belly – Poltergeist
  • Bone Thugs-n-Harmony – Shotz to tha Double Glock
  • Coolio – Gangsta’s Paradise (feat. L.V.)
  • Danny Brown – 25 Bucks (feat. Purity Ring)
  • Drake – 6 Man
  • Frank Ocean – Pink + White
  • Future – Mask Off (Remix) (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
  • Geto Boys – First Light of the Day
  • Geto Boys – The World is a Ghetto
  • J Dilla – Fight Club (feat. Nottz & Boogie)
  • Kendrick Lamar – DNA.
  • Kendrick Lamar – Swimming Pools (Drank)
  • King Avriel – 20s 50s 100s (feat. A$AP Ferg)
  • Mobb Deep – Survival of the Fittest
  • Nas – If I Ruled the World (Imagine That) (feat. Lauryn Hill)
  • Nas – Street Dreams
  • The Notorious B.I.G. – Hypnotize
  • The Notorious B.I.G. – Somebody’s Gotta Die
  • The Notorious B.I.G. – Ten Crack Commandments
  • Residente – Dagombas en Tamale
  • Subenstein (My Sub IV) – Big K.R.I.T.
  • Vybz Kartel – Fast Life
  • Wu-Tang Clan – C.R.E.A.M.
  • Yaeji – Drink I’m Sippin On